Saturday, May 7, 2011

Hanover Public School District

Dr Alan Moyer, the Superintendent of Hanover Public School District had kindly arranged for me to visit the Hanover High School. I visited 6 classes in total. Special thanks to Mr Samuelsen, the principal and Mr Kraus, history teacher, for giving a tour of the school and Mackenzie Naill and Kyra Shaffer, the students who guided me from one class to another.


With Dr Alan Moyer and Kyra Shaffer at the entrance of the office


I was so fortunate to have the opportunity to observe and learn from some excellent teachers. I saw how patient Ms Rega was with her ELL students. I learned from Mrs Erin Smith the power of extensive reading in her Academic English class. I was so impress by the great presence of Mr Bauer and his love for history and world affair. I had a great time interacting with Mr Bauer and his students and shared our views on some world affairs pertaining to our respective countries and regions. I had the opportunity to see how Mr Suter incorporate technology in his Environmental Science class where students took their quiz online. Mrs Sara Little showed me how silk screen printing is done and some of her students' work in her Art class. There is even an art exhibition that is on going in the school where her students display their finest art work in various media. Mrs Frank's Journalism class was very impressive with 3 students taking care of the production of the entire school newsletter.



Mrs Smith with her English Academic Class students


Each link represents a book that the students finished reading


Some art display


In the evening, I returned with my host family as spectators of the Drama Night - a tradition that has lasted for 50 years in this school and there is not a sign that it is slowing down. The freshman, sophomore and senior each performed a play. Rachel Kelly, the daughter of Mike and Mary Kay Kelly (my host family) won an award for her cameo performance in their freshman play - 'Conflict'. The Sophmore's 'Harry Potter Parody!' won the best director award as well as the best drama award. Whereas senior student, Jaide Finfrock won the best actress award in 'Our American Zombie'.


Freshman Performance: Conflict


Sophmore Performance: Harry Potter Parody!


Senior Performance: Our American Zombie



Award sponsor by Garrick Jewelers


I must say that the sophmore did a great performance that night with their witty and hilarious plots, dialogues and great characters. I personally was impressed with an Asian girl, Lily Tran whose portrayal of Malfroy was just superb. She won an award for her cameo performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment