Saturday, April 23, 2011

A Day of an Elementary/Middle School Teacher

It was our first day of our Vocation and I was very excited about it. Our team break up and make our way to our respective areas of interest. My day started with a class with Mary Napoli, Assistant Professor of Reading and Children's Literature from the School of Behavioral Sciences and Education in Penn State Harrisburg. I was honored to have met her students, who were teacher in training and shared many of our pedagogies and experience as teachers in both countries. I would like to thank Prof. Mary and her students in allowing me to enter the classroom and share our experiences.



Next I headed to meet Dr Jason Petula who is an Asst. Prof of Math Education and Dr. Robert Coffman who is a Asst. Prof of Education. Our discussion was fruitful and I had learned many insights to the syllabus of Mathematics and Science in the State. There were similarities in our approach to teaching but of course our differences were also present. I was surprised to learn that they had a similar modular approach to science but they had a study of Earth and Space. We exchanged contacts and will continue to share our experiences in the future via email.



My last stop was to Hersey Middle school. I observed a Grade 9 English class. The main difference is that the pupils move from one class to another while the teacher stays in the same classroom. We, Lau and myself, shared about our country and how the pupils in our countries carry out their daily lives.

It was a long exhausting day but it was a great one as I had learned a lot from today's vocation. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment